Do you pay too much for your workers’ compensation insurance? Have you taken all of the obvious steps to reduce the cost but wish there was still something more you could do? Sometimes it helps to get a little creative when considering ways to make your workplace safer and reduce the risk of on-the-job injuries.
Here are seven unusual ways to save money on your workers’ compensation. While the benefits of these may not seem immediately obvious, over time you will be able to recognize their usefulness.
- Choose a practical flooring surface, not just one that looks nice. All too often, those stunning looking floors can be the most dangerous and can be slippery when wet.
- Customize workspaces to fit each employee’s needs through ergonomic adjustments. By ensuring that an employee’s workspace works right for them, you create a safer environment less prone to physical stress or injury, and less prone to a workers’ compensation claim.
- Consider unconventional or outside-the-box treatment if it will help an employee recover and return faster.
- Train employees in First Aid, CPR, AED, etc.; and designate employees to respond to emergencies.
- Investigate near-miss incidents to prevent future accidents. Seventy-five percent of accidents are preceded by a near miss.
- Don’t ignore employees out on Workers Comp. Stay in touch with them and show you care. This has been proven to get people back to work sooner. Whenever possible create a modified-duty opportunity for them so they can return to work more quickly, even if it is modified or part-time.Staying in touch with injured employees can also help you recognize signs of potential abuse and nip it in the bud.
- Monitor employee morale. Unhappy workers can become careless or slipshod in their work. Take steps to improve morale and to deal with employees who may be having or causing problems.
Need more help and ideas for keeping your work comp and other insurance costs under control? Give Roper a call today for a free insurance review and check-up. We love helping our clients save money and save time.